Holistic Learning: How Aug Prep is Reimagining Urban Education
Abby Andrietsch, CEO of St. Augustine Preparatory Academy
How can we better serve students in a city like Milwaukee, where 50% of students attend mediocre or failing schools, and only 65% of students even graduate high school? This data isn't anomalous; urban regions across the U.S. are failing our students, creating systems lacking in hope and opportunity for our kids.
One school in Milwaukee has found tremendous success by taking a holistic approach to K-12 education - one where the whole student is served, mind, body and soul.
Abby Andrietsch, CEO of St. Augustine Preparatory Academy, joins us to share the unique approaches at Aug Prep that have help students go from failing to 4.0; where graduates have earned over $21 million in scholarships in the 7 years the school has been open.
Discover how Aug Prep has been ranked one of the top K-12 schools in the state for academic success with one of the highest satisfaction ratings for teachers, all while serving low-income students of color from across 43 zip codes in Milwaukee.
3 Big Takeaways from this episode:
- A holistic approach to education serves the student's mind, body and soul: Aug Prep has built their model on four pillars: faith, family, academics and athletics/arts. Parents are involved in each student's educational journey; academic rigor starts at four years old; students are given opportunities in STEM, the arts and athletics; and faith is the final key to ensuring the entire student is served by the school.
- Believing in students' potential and setting high expectations can lead to remarkable achievements: You'll be amazed at the success stories Abby shares in the podcast. When students have teachers who believe in them, mentors who lead them, parents who are involved in their education, and a school who sets expectations high, it's incredible what students can accomplish.
- Exposing students to a variety of career pathways and providing authentic experiences can help them make informed decisions about their future: Aug Prep prides itself on helping students be future-ready. No matter their post-secondary pathway, the school provides 60+ pre-college program opportunities for exposure and exploration for a variety of careers. In an effort to ensure their students are ready for the future workforce, Aug Prep is also investing heavily in STEM and advanced manufacturing curriculum through partnerships with the MMAC and Bucyrus Foundation.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Visit Aug Prep's website
- Episode: Where Forward-Thinking Manufacturers Invest their Resources (featuring Austin Ramirez, CEO of Husco)
- Aug Prep Exceeds Expectations by Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
You might also be interested in these episodes:
- A New Approach to Measure Student Success
- The District That Disrupted the K-12 System, and the New Model for Success
- Applying the Private Equity Model to K-12 Schools (With Great Results)
Connect with Aug Prep online:
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
The #1 podcast in TechEd
This podcast is a great resource to keep up with all the exciting changes in the world of manufacturing and technology. Get key insight from industry leaders from the Midwest and around the globe that you won’t find anywhere else. A must listen for anyone interested in how technology is changing the way businesses operate.
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
Filling in Gaps
This show spotlights a large and growing aspect of education that doesn’t get enough attention. Practical and technical education is a field growing exponentially. This podcast Highlights many of the facets of this diverse field.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!
New and Exciting Content With Every Episode
I really enjoy listening to this podcast when I'm driving or have a free moment. Each episode brings a new guest with a fresh and exciting perspective of both education and the workforce!
Fantastic Topics on the Future of Industry
These podcasts are the best for learning about current and future technology. The stories are great. We need more of these interviews.