A New Approach to Measure Student Success
Justin Wagner, Superintendent of Woodbine School District
When you put good people in an inadequate system, the system wins every time.
It's time we recognize the traditional K-12 education model in America - one that's remain unchanged for decades - no longer serves our students like it should. It's an inadequate system that needs to be disrupted, and superintendent Justin Wagner and his team at Woodbine School District decided to take action to change it.
Hear how they built a new model centered around involved, relevant and personalized learning. One that focuses on student voice and choice and gets the parents involved. One that's seen tremendous success in student engagement as they're finally being taught in a manner that best works for them.
In this episode, you'll not only hear the story of how Woodbine School District created this new plan, but also discover how the model resulted in some incredible outcomes, like:
- 167% drop in behavior referrals from the 21-22 school year to the 22-23 school year according to the Statewide Conditions for Learning survey.
- Over 1/3 of students K-4th grade are 50 academic days or more ahead of their peers on reading, writing, language and math.
- This year the WCSD, according to the Statewide report, hit a record enrollment increase.
- The WCSD staff was named as One of the Best Places to Work in Iowa.
3 Big Takeaways from this episode:
- K-12 education must be personalized: K-12 education can't be a one-size-fits-all approach. The lack of personalization in our system is leaving behind those kids who learn in different ways. As Justin reminds us, kids are smart, just not in the language we're teaching them. We need to reach students in the way they learn best, and then measure their learning accordingly. Hear how Woodbine and the Ignite Pathways program has given students voice and choice in how they learn while still being aligned to state standards.
- New metrics for success - student enrollment, academics, and behaviors: How do we know Woodbine's model works? Look at the stats above. The district has seen more students coming to the district (Iowa has open enrollment), a rise in academic achievement, and a massive decrease in student behaviors. The moral of the story? When students' needs are met, they're more engaged in their learning, they stick and stay, and they actually understand the knowledge and can apply it in the real world.
- Ignite Pathways is a personalized approach to Career and Technical Education: Learn about Ignite Pathways, where middle school, high school and adult students can earn their core credits in math, science, etc. through career-relevant, personalized learning experiences in areas like agriculture, industrial maintenance, health sciences, technology and more. From career exploration to skill-building, the Ignite Pathways approach is all about competency-based learning.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Woodbine Community School District:
Other episodes referenced:
- Wisconsin Adjutant General Paul Knapp
- North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum
- Northern Cass Superintendent Cory Steiner
- Saint Paul Public Schools Superintendent Joe Gothard
Connect with Ignite Pathways online:
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
The #1 podcast in TechEd
This podcast is a great resource to keep up with all the exciting changes in the world of manufacturing and technology. Get key insight from industry leaders from the Midwest and around the globe that you won’t find anywhere else. A must listen for anyone interested in how technology is changing the way businesses operate.
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
Filling in Gaps
This show spotlights a large and growing aspect of education that doesn’t get enough attention. Practical and technical education is a field growing exponentially. This podcast Highlights many of the facets of this diverse field.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!
New and Exciting Content With Every Episode
I really enjoy listening to this podcast when I'm driving or have a free moment. Each episode brings a new guest with a fresh and exciting perspective of both education and the workforce!
Fantastic Topics on the Future of Industry
These podcasts are the best for learning about current and future technology. The stories are great. We need more of these interviews.