Education Reimagined: What America Can Learn from the Success of North Dakota
Doug Burgum, Governor of North Dakota and candidate for President of the United States
Innovation, not regulation. This mindset Governor Doug Burgum has instilled North Dakota’s approach to education has produced widespread innovation across the state.
Hear firsthand from Governor Burgum about all the unique ways North Dakota is disrupting education and laying the foundation for other states to adopt a new model that is better for students, better for schools, and better for communities.
In this episode:
- Learn why states should flip their focus from inputs to outcomes
- Employers: hear why you're already too late when you start recruiting students in high school
- K-12 districts: get a 3-step roadmap for building a career readiness model
- Higher education: discover the four forces that are disrupting higher education - and how you can respond.
Plus, hear about the Governor's areas of focus as he runs for president of the United States and seeks to bring the success of North Dakota to the rest of the country.
3 Big Takeaways from this episode:
- Education should focus on outcomes, not just inputs: Too often, education fixates on inputs (what's the budget?) rather than on student outcomes. If we can flip that model and prioritize the outcomes we're producing in students (stackable skills, competencies, relevant knowledge), then we can align the budget to ensure those outcomes are met.
- Career readiness is a journey that starts in kindergarten. Here are the three steps K-12 districts should implement: Governor Burgum outlines how school districts can maximize exposure to all different career options for students at each level of their K-12 journey. Career awareness begins in elementary school, career exploration happens in middle school, and career education happens in high school. Listen to the episode to hear what each step entails.
- Higher education is being disrupted by four forces: Technology, economics, demographics, and a culture mindset shift are all impacting higher education today. Leadership must respond to these forces with a willingness to adapt the higher education model to remain relevant.
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
The #1 podcast in TechEd
This podcast is a great resource to keep up with all the exciting changes in the world of manufacturing and technology. Get key insight from industry leaders from the Midwest and around the globe that you won’t find anywhere else. A must listen for anyone interested in how technology is changing the way businesses operate.
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
Filling in Gaps
This show spotlights a large and growing aspect of education that doesn’t get enough attention. Practical and technical education is a field growing exponentially. This podcast Highlights many of the facets of this diverse field.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!
New and Exciting Content With Every Episode
I really enjoy listening to this podcast when I'm driving or have a free moment. Each episode brings a new guest with a fresh and exciting perspective of both education and the workforce!
Fantastic Topics on the Future of Industry
These podcasts are the best for learning about current and future technology. The stories are great. We need more of these interviews.