5G Testbed Will Validate the Impact of Private Cellular Networks in Manufacturing
Featuring guests from UWM Connected Systems Institute, US Cellular, Ericsson, Marchant Schmidt
Recorded live at the 5G in Manufacturing Summit from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Connected Systems Institute, we're talking with a group of 5G network experts about the potential for this technology to make Industry 4.0 a reality for manufacturers.
UWM has partnered with industry leaders US Cellular and Ericsson to host a 5G testbed at the Connected Systems Institute to test and validate the technology. This industry-academia partnership is one-of-a-kind, and it's enabling small-to-midsize manufacturers to benefit from the CSI's research.
This episode features a roundtable discussion, followed by a conversation with a mid-size manufacturer who shares how they're considering PCNs for their company.
This week's guest lineup:
- Atish Sinha - Academic Director of the Connected Systems Institute, UWM
- James Rose - Senior Manager-Private Cellular Networks, US Cellular
- Merle Haslam - Director of Technical Sales Support-Business Area Enterprise Wireless Solutions, Ericsson
- David Foley - Chief Operating Officer, Marchant Schmidt
In this episode, you'll learn:
- What is the Connected Systems Institute?
- What are private cellular networks, and how are they being deployed today?
- How does private cellular network technology work? How is it different than traditional WiFi?
- What are the challenges to 5G adoption in manufacturing, and how are we going to solve them?
- Why is a 5G testbed at the CSI such a unique and valuable project?
- What will companies get out of the work being done at the CSI?
Connect with our guests' organizations:
- UWM Connected Systems Institute: https://uwm.edu/csi/
- US Cellular (business): https://business.uscellular.com/solutions/industry/manufacturing/
- Ericsson: https://www.ericsson.com/en
- Marchant Schmidt: https://www.marchantschmidt.com/
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
The #1 podcast in TechEd
This podcast is a great resource to keep up with all the exciting changes in the world of manufacturing and technology. Get key insight from industry leaders from the Midwest and around the globe that you won’t find anywhere else. A must listen for anyone interested in how technology is changing the way businesses operate.
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
Filling in Gaps
This show spotlights a large and growing aspect of education that doesn’t get enough attention. Practical and technical education is a field growing exponentially. This podcast Highlights many of the facets of this diverse field.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!
New and Exciting Content With Every Episode
I really enjoy listening to this podcast when I'm driving or have a free moment. Each episode brings a new guest with a fresh and exciting perspective of both education and the workforce!
Fantastic Topics on the Future of Industry
These podcasts are the best for learning about current and future technology. The stories are great. We need more of these interviews.