Is a College Degree Worth It? Career Conversations Parents Should Have With Their Students
Terry Iverson, Founder of CHAMPION Now
Let's face it: college isn't for everyone. Especially with the amount of student debt being carried by individuals long into their career; oftentimes, for degrees that don't even get used.
We need to inform and inspire students towards careers they're passionate about and wired for, and help them find the right education option that will get them to that goal. Parents, educators, mentors in the workforce - we all have a role in making sure the next generation workforce has the right set of skills for their profession, especially in manufacturing.
In this episode, we bring on Terry Iverson - Founder of CHAMPION Now and author of Inspiring Champions in Advanced Manufacturing: Discover the Path to a Debt-Free Career. Terry's books are all about highlighting the world of manufacturing and why it's a great career choice. And in this latest book, it's a unique message to parents and their teens.
Listen in for a great conversation about mentorship, the right education for the right career, manufacturing, and the value of asking the right questions and having candid conversations with students.
3 Big Takeaways from this episode:
- Students need an education that's aligned to their career goals: Let's flip the all-students-go-to-college mindset to one where students are provided all the options available to them post-secondary, and then they make an informed decision that aligns to their career goals. That means teaching them the ROI of an education, teaching them about college debt, and helping them discover what they're passionate about.
- Manufacturing (and similar industries) need to be options on the table: When students sit with their school counselor and when parents have conversations about the future with their kids and teens, they need to include options like manufacturing, the skilled trades, and other often-overlooked industries. There are tons of benefits to a manufacturing career, like good wages, overtime opportunity, upward mobility, employers will pay your way through school, and having a set work schedule. It's great for those hands-on individuals who would rather be on their feet, solving problems, building things, working with technology than sitting at a desk all day.
- Parents and their students need to have candid, informed conversations with each other: Whether it's a parent teaching their teen about the long-term effect of student debt or a kid telling their parent that they love their welding class and want to do it as a career, parents and their kids need to have more open conversations about career goals and all the options to get them there. That's why Terry wrote his latest book (link below) - so families can have these candid conversations.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- Visit CHAMPION Now's website: https://championnow.org/
- Learn more about Terry's books:
- Learn more about Manufacturing Day (plus, find an event near you or host one yourself): https://www.mfgday.com/
Connect with CHAMPION Now online:
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
The #1 podcast in TechEd
This podcast is a great resource to keep up with all the exciting changes in the world of manufacturing and technology. Get key insight from industry leaders from the Midwest and around the globe that you won’t find anywhere else. A must listen for anyone interested in how technology is changing the way businesses operate.
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
Filling in Gaps
This show spotlights a large and growing aspect of education that doesn’t get enough attention. Practical and technical education is a field growing exponentially. This podcast Highlights many of the facets of this diverse field.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!
New and Exciting Content With Every Episode
I really enjoy listening to this podcast when I'm driving or have a free moment. Each episode brings a new guest with a fresh and exciting perspective of both education and the workforce!
Fantastic Topics on the Future of Industry
These podcasts are the best for learning about current and future technology. The stories are great. We need more of these interviews.