Mining 4.0: Unearthing New Applications of Engineering at this Top STEM School
Dr. Jim Rankin, President of South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
Autonomous trucks, robotics and AI are revolutionizing the mining industry...and now engineering students of all disciplines are being prepared for these fascinating careers at South Dakota Mines!
In this episode of the TechEd Podcast, Dr. Jim Rankin, President of the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (often called South Dakota Mines) discusses the institution's focus on STEM education and its impact on the mining and mineral industries. SDSMT is one of only five universities in the U.S. to have all three mineral industry disciplines: Geology and Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering and Management, and Materials and Metallurgical Engineering.
Beyond mining, the school has a strong emphasis on all engineering disciplines, creating a cross-collaborative learning experience that prepares students for the real world. Hear how this top STEM school has partnered with industry and research collaboratives to give students truly cutting-edge learning experiences in fields that are evolving rapidly.
3 Big Takeaways from this episode:
- South Dakota Mines is one of the top ROI STEM schools in America: What makes this engineering school so valuable for students? The deliberate focus on STEM education, where students can jump into their major on day one. Dr. Rankin recognizes the changing perceptions around higher education - especially those questioning whether the tuition cost is worth it - and has ensured SDSMT's students have a low-cost, high-return education that gives them the knowledge and skills to be successful engineers.
- Mining has major environmental and national security implications: The more technology evolves, the greater need for rare earth minerals that power things like next-gen batteries and semiconductors. The U.S. has identified 30+ of these minerals that we're sourcing internationally - but should we be mining them here? Dr. Rankin shows us the delicate balance between the environmental impact of mining and the national security issue of sourcing the material elsewhere.
- The Mining Hub pairs engineering students with industry to do cutting-edge research into Mining 4.0: Launched in partnership with organizations like Caterpillar, the Mining Hub is a multi-disciplinary research incubator doing work with autonomous mining vehicles, artificial intelligence and robotics to develop the latest innovations in the mining industry. This research is done alongside the Sanford Underground Research Facility.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
To learn more about the South Dakota Mines, visit: www.sdsmt.edu
Visit these links to learn more about:
- Cat® Labs MineStar™ Consortium
- The Mining Hub
- Sanford Underground Research Facility
- National Science Foundation's Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers (IUCRC)
Connect with South Dakota Mines online:
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
The #1 podcast in TechEd
This podcast is a great resource to keep up with all the exciting changes in the world of manufacturing and technology. Get key insight from industry leaders from the Midwest and around the globe that you won’t find anywhere else. A must listen for anyone interested in how technology is changing the way businesses operate.
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
Filling in Gaps
This show spotlights a large and growing aspect of education that doesn’t get enough attention. Practical and technical education is a field growing exponentially. This podcast Highlights many of the facets of this diverse field.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!
New and Exciting Content With Every Episode
I really enjoy listening to this podcast when I'm driving or have a free moment. Each episode brings a new guest with a fresh and exciting perspective of both education and the workforce!
Fantastic Topics on the Future of Industry
These podcasts are the best for learning about current and future technology. The stories are great. We need more of these interviews.