How to Build a Thriving Tech Ecosystem
Kathy Henrich, CEO of the Milwaukee Tech Hub Coalition
Don't underestimate Milwaukee - a thriving city with not only a rich history, but a bright future with opportunities to live, work and play.
Kathy Henrich is CEO of the Milwaukee Tech Hub Coalition, a nonprofit on a mission to grow the region's tech ecosystem while creating life-altering opportunities for tech talent. We dive deep into Milwaukee's unique tech landscape (and the blending of traditional industry with high-tech), the status of our tech talent pool, and the impact of artificial intelligence on business and work.
This is an insight-packed episode that can help organizations in similar regions across the U.S. strengthen their own technology ecosystem.
3 Big Takeaways from this episode:
- Our approach to the tech talent gap needs to change: Tech occupations are up 30% in the last 10 years, with no sign of slowing down. Every year there are 100,000 new tech jobs nationwide, with only 90,000 graduates for those roles (with others leaving the workforce). On top of that, every sector is now tech-based. Tech can't just rely on traditional higher education for its talent pipeline. Instead, we must embrace other methods, like apprenticeships, skills-based training, hiring workers from non-traditional places.
- People are looking for these 3 things in a company. If you want to hire great tech talent, make sure you: 1) Show people how they can have a great career at your company, with opportunities for mobility both laterally and vertically, 2) Help people solve problems that matter to the world (give them purpose in their work), 3) Let them work on advanced technologies / show them their career will be cutting-edge.
- Leading companies are implementing artificial intelligence in 3 areas: 1) AI in their processes (on the business side and manufacturing systems), 2) AI embedded in products (do you have products to which you can add AI to make a better customer experience?), 3) AI in gaining customer insights and enhancing customer service.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
To learn more about the Milwaukee Tech Hub Coalition, visit their website: https://www.mketech.org/
Other resources mentioned in this episode:
- Book: All-in On AI: How Smart Companies Win Big with Artificial Intelligence by Thomas H. Davenport and Nitin Mittal
- AI Data Specialist degree at Waukesha County Technical College (WCTC)
- Northwestern Mutual Data Science Institute
- AI programs at the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE)
Connect with the Milwaukee Tech Hub Coalition online:
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
The #1 podcast in TechEd
This podcast is a great resource to keep up with all the exciting changes in the world of manufacturing and technology. Get key insight from industry leaders from the Midwest and around the globe that you won’t find anywhere else. A must listen for anyone interested in how technology is changing the way businesses operate.
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
Filling in Gaps
This show spotlights a large and growing aspect of education that doesn’t get enough attention. Practical and technical education is a field growing exponentially. This podcast Highlights many of the facets of this diverse field.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!
New and Exciting Content With Every Episode
I really enjoy listening to this podcast when I'm driving or have a free moment. Each episode brings a new guest with a fresh and exciting perspective of both education and the workforce!
Fantastic Topics on the Future of Industry
These podcasts are the best for learning about current and future technology. The stories are great. We need more of these interviews.