Building Systemic Equity in Urban Education
Dr. Joe Gothard, Superintendent of St. Paul Public Schools
Education has reached a tipping point; people are waking up to the idea that we can and should do things in a different way. The challenge is how to actually enact change in a large urban district.
St. Paul Public Schools reaches 35,000 students, 79% of whom identify as a race other than white, with 125 languages spoken by these students at home.
In this episode, we talk with SPPS Superintendent Dr. Joe Gothard about what needs to be done to build systemic equity into our urban education system.
Our conversation runs the gamut of hot topics facing K-12 education, including:
- How COVID-19 brought to light so many disparities among urban students and their families and what school districts must do to bridge those gaps
- Digital natives vs. digital immigrants and how this affects the teacher-student relationship
- What's wrong with our high school graduation requirements, and why it's affecting our students' workforce readiness
- Making tough decisions, like school closures, for the long-term benefit of all students
- Building systemic equity into every aspect of your district's culture, strategy and initiatives
- How to include parents and families into DEI conversations and initiatives: the two-generation approach
One word appears consistently in our conversation on systemic equity: identity. How can education do a better job of supporting each individual student's passions, interests and needs, and then help them build their identity?
We answer all these and more in this fascinating conversation with Dr. Gothard.
What our listeners are saying
I needed this podcast back when I was in High School!
Such great content that deserves more attention at all level of education. I wish I heard some of these episodes when I was navigating my own career path. Incredible guests, with incredible messages to share. Keep up the great work!
I find Matt's approach to be very compelling. He brings both perspectives, industry AND education. He doesn't hold back on what he thinks is important...
Inspiring topics featuring inspiring leaders
I’ve listened to most of your weekly podcasts and enjoy listening to the stories and conversations that feature business and education leaders from Wisconsin. Kudos to you for creating a platform that presents ideas and success stories that are important to Career and Technical Education teachers and leaders.
Best Career and TechEd Podcast
There are a lot of education podcasts out there. This is the only one that really focuses on bringing together voices from inside AND outside education and focuses specifically on STEM and Career/Tech Ed. This is a great podcast for anyone in education and also for anyone who employs STEM or skilled-trades talent in their workforce.
The pulse of Industry 4.0
This podcast has its fingers on the pulse of Industry 4.0, and Matt K. is a phenomenal guide, traversing the complexities of manufacturing and education in one forum. A+ work all around!